Healing from Trauma Starts from Within
There is so much pain that can be experienced in a lifetime, and those experiences can have a lasting impression on us. Traumatic events, whether experienced once or many times, can dampen our mind, body, and spirit if not treated accordingly. In an attempt to alleviate our anxieties, depression, anger, guilt and other uncomfortable feelings that often arise from trauma, we may seek outside sources such as alcohol, drugs, and more, hoping they will heal our wounds. This distraction often seems quite convincing at first, as we’re adequately distracted and able to focus on something other than the pain. Before we know it, we’re thrown into a whirlwind of addiction, adding yet another layer of issues to what we’re already trying to deal with. If you’ve experienced trauma and it’s still weighing heavily on your heart, skip the outside resources and search within.
Begin with this simple meditation exercise:
- Sit comfortably in a quiet room and close your eyes.
- Envision the inner child in you, at an age when you started to really become affected by the pain and trauma surrounding you.
- That child (you) is alone, scared, and hurt. Find yourself in that child and evoke feelings of compassion for them as you are now older, wiser, and in a better position to have more control over your life.
- With your eyes continuing to be closed, imagine giving your inner child self all of the love, attention, and support that you needed when you were that age. Tell yourself all of the loving words that you needed to hear; hug yourself; find solidarity in working to heal that child that was once broken but is now stronger.
- Imagine your inner child feeling much calmer from this – they feel protected, guided, and more confident moving forward with their life. You may even “witness” your inner child becoming happier or stronger, right before your eyes.
- Open your eyes, and really harness the feelings of independence, strength, and security that you provided to yourself. Continue practicing the giving of this self-compassion.
Healing always starts from within, and meditation is an excellent step that can get you started on your journey. Trauma can cause debilitating symptoms, but it does not have to be like this forever. Don’t’ wait any longer to begin your journey to recovery today.
Trauma is most often the root cause of many emotional, behavioral, and mood disorders. Until you can heal your trauma, you will find great difficulty finding the healing you need to live a life of recovery, health, and wellness. At Khiron House, we provide effective residential treatment and cutting edge therapies which seek to transform mind, body, and spirit from the effects of trauma. Call us today for information. UK: 020 3811 2575 (24 hours) USA: (866) 801 6184 (24 hours).